Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Tutorial: Cool-Tone Smokey Look - Featuring the Urban Decay Naked Palette

I thought this post would be a fantastic idea. I just reviewed the UD Naked Palette and wanted to show you multiple ways to create looks with the palette. My original plan was to create a cool-tone tutorial and a warm-tone tutorial. One would be more wearable than the other so that I could show more variety. Now, this plan sounds like a good one, but of course things didn’t work out the way I wanted them to, and my camera decided not to work. The problem was that all the photos that I took of the look up close were out of focus (which I still don’t understand because I put my camera on special settings before taking the pictures). This wouldn’t have been so upsetting, except I didn’t come to this realization until I was completely done with the tutorial. Any other time I would have been fine with taking off my make up and restarting, but this was the second time I had done this tutorial and I had had enough! Luckily, the photos I took of the finished look were in focus and so were the photos of the products I used, so I have decided to post the look, without the step by step photos.

I really enjoy the time I spend applying my makeup so I thought a tutorial would be fun. But because this is a review blog, I am going to base my tutorials on a product that I have reviewed.

This look was going to be the cool-toned makeup look out of the two that I planed on doing. This was also going to be the less wearable look, more suitable for the night time. I incorporated the following eye shadows from the Naked Palette:


I used the travel size Primer Potion from the palette and the following brushes from www.sigma.com and MAC cosmetics:


Before starting I just want to add that my main focus for this tutorial was the Naked palette and not any of the other products used.



Step One: Prime eyes with Primer Potion (I just use my finger)

Step Two: Apply the eye shadow Sidecar all over the lid with a flat shader brush.
I suggest packing on this color with a patting motion to reduce fall-out.

Step Three: Apply the eye shadow Gun Metal on the outer-third of the lid and in the crease with a crease brush.

Step Four: Apply the eye shadow Creep (with the same crease brush) in the outer corner of the lid and bring it up to the outer portion of your crease.

Step Five: Take the used crease brush and lightly sweep it along your lower lash line for a smokey look.
Just use whatever product is left on your brush.

Step Six: Apply the eye shadow Virgin under your eyebrow and near your tear duct for your highlight. Use a small pencil brush for this step.

Step Seven: Apply liquid black eyeliner along the upper lash line and wing it out slightly. Then, apply a black pencil liner along the bottom lashes.

Step Eight: Apply two coats of your favorite mascara on the upper and lower lash line.

Step Nine: Keep the cheeks shimmer-free and natural, and then apply a nude lip stick.
Because the eyes are so dark we want the attention on them, so keep the rest of your face pretty natural.

So I am hoping that next time my tutorial will work a little better. My plan was to list off the steps and then have a picture to go with each step.

Watch out for the second Naked Palette tutorial. A warmer look will be coming up soon; after all, summer is pretty much here!

Thank you and have a fabulous day!

xoxo roseyreview

No comments:

Post a Comment